Thursday, February 10, 2011

Becoming Debt Free

God has laid it on my heart to be a good steward of my money. Although I haven't racked up millions or even thousands in debt, I can be better at managing my finances. To many times we hear on the news, or in our personal life (and especially when one works at a bank) about peoples financial problems. I want to take an active step in making sure that I plan smartly for my future. With that said, I do think some people 'over' plan or save to the point that they are consumed with the idea of money.  In order to become debt free, being a better planner for future finances and budgeting money one first must seek God's advice. Below you will find some verses that I find fitting to this outrageously growing problem call debt.





Philippians 4:19   
~ First and for most, we must not look to ourselves or 'our' money for a security only God can provide.

Malachi 3:10
Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.”
   
~ Secondly but just as important as #1. God commands us to give a tithe from the top. I can assure you, not only by my experience but also by testaments of others that God not only will provide your needs, but He is pretty awesome and provides more.

Proverbs 25:28He who has no rule over his own spirit is like a broken down city without a wall.
 
~In other words, if you can't control yourself (spending) you are hurting yourself and potentially those closest to you.

Luke 14:28-30For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he may have enough to finish it; lest perhaps, after he has laid the foundation and is not able to finish, all those seeing begin to mock him, saying, This man began to build and was not able to finish.

  ~ Budget, Budget, Budget!! I can not claim to be the know it all of finances, but this one seems like it's pretty basic knowledge. Granted I haven't chosen to utilize this knowledge at its best recently, but the knowledge is still there nonetheless. If you like many have never been taught how to budget I would suggest doing a web search. There are plenty of sites that not only provide wonderful info, but also offer budgeting tools. I would be cautious though for anything that requires payment, that might be an unnecessary cost.


Well I didn't have the intentions of giving a finance lesson. More so I just wanted to let anyone in on what has been going on with me as of late. I was pretty excited just now paying down size able amounts on some credit cards. Mostly I am excited to be getting myself to a place that is wholly focused on God, and what He wants for my life. I can not claim to have all the answers, but what I do have I give freely.


   

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment